The Support and Services We Provide
- Intellectual: Nationally Accredited High School Curriculum or College and Career Readiness Track provides a bridge to college for developing executive functioning skills, time management, independent living, and financial management tools. Learning support is provided by Masters-level educators.
- Emotional: Support as necessary to develop skills and identify areas requiring further development. Managing challenges and building on strengths; addressing mood regulation, relationship development, conflict resolution, managing anxiety, and depression. Provided by experienced licensed clinical liaisons.
- Physical: Exercise and activities—both adventure activities and leisure activities—help students develop healthy habits. Nutrition and wellness development is included.
- Social/Cultural Immersion: Working in the local community in a bi-lingual (Spanish-English) cultural environment provides students with the ability to be part of the local community and to experience local activities and events.
- Vocational: Career exploration provides students with the opportunity to work at various jobs in the local community. Resume development, interviewing, ongoing coaching and feedback to students regarding his/her functioning and areas of strengths and challenges are provided.
- Caring, supportive staff are partners in the young adult’s growth. We believe in young people and understand our role is not to impose our will on you. Instead, Pacia Puerto Rico Residential Field Staff serve as partners, mentors and role models in your plan for transitioning to independence, helping you recognize possibilities, teaching skills, nudging you forward or, preventing retreat. Offering balanced, real-life feedback, the Surf House staff is here to support you in finding your own voice, solutions, and direction.
FOCUS OUTCOMES AND GROWTH
There are several key principles that guide our approach:
- Treat young adults as adults. Students at Pacia Puerto Rico are treated like adults. You are expected to be an active participant in your own life by making plans, accepting responsibility, experimenting with new activities and new solutions while demonstrating accountability for your decisions.
- Caring, supportive staff are partners in the young adult’s growth. We believe in young people and understand our role is not to impose our will on you or tell you exactly what to do. Instead, Pacia Puerto Rico Life Coaches serve as partners in your plan for transitioning to independence, helping you recognize possibilities, teaching skills, nudging you forward or, preventing retreat. Offering balanced, real-life feedback, the life coaches, and teachers support you in finding your voice, solutions, and direction.
- A supportive community reinforces that the young adult is not alone. The Pacia Puerto Rico community, composed of young people just like you and our caring staff, provides a supportive environment for you to share openly your frustrations or fears and receive support as you experiment with ways to move forward. Feedback is non-judgmental and constructive to maintain emotional safety and encourage personal accountability.
- Life experiences, continued learning, and skill development builds the confidence needed for success. Participation in the Pacia Puerto Rico experience exposes you to adventure challenging activities, language, and cultural immersion, life-skills instruction, coupled with focused academic achievements and career preparation, resulting in enhanced confidence and increased self-esteem.